Find out how to cut bell peppers for your next meal. This is a quick video that will help beginner cooks learn simple techniques for bell pepper preparation. Before you get started you’ll need a sharp knife and a cutting board.
Bell pepper cutting techniques
How to cut a bell pepper
- To begin, wash the pepper in cold water to remove any dirt or spray then dry with a towel.
- Place the fruit on a chopping board and slice in half from top to bottom. You may also want to chop off the stalk at the top before cutting in half. Remove the unwanted white seeds and membrane which has a bitter taste.
- Slice the bell pepper into long rectangular strips or slice extra thin into matchstick like pieces (julienne technique). Slices are good for pizza toppings, sandwiches, or salads. They can also be added to a dehydrator and transformed into healthy snacks.
Dicing the pepper
Once you have sliced the long strips, hold them all in a bunch on the cutting board and slice them horizontally into even-sized cubes. For visual appearance and to ensure all the pieces cook evenly, it is a good idea to try to keep all the pieces a similar size.
To make rings, lay the whole pepper on its side on a cutting board. Slice off the top and bottom and discard then run the knife around the inside to remove the unwanted core. Slice the fruit crossways to create rings.
For stuffed peppers
Lay a whole bell pepper on its side and slice off the top where the stem end is located. Use a knife to cut out the insides before placing the pepper on a baking tray and stuffing. You may need to slice a small bit off the bottom to ensure it sits upright without tipping over.
- Bell peppers are also known as capsicums outside of the United States.
- A sharp knife will make the job of cutting bell peppers easier.
- The safest way to cut is to keep your fingers away from the blade to avoid injuries.
At the store, look for a bell pepper that is weighty in the hand. It should feel smooth and firm with a shiny gloss. Check all over, looking for soft spots, cuts, or unwanted blemishes.
Dry bell peppers if they have any damp spots, then wrap in a plastic bag and store in the vegetable crisper. You can expect a bell pepper to last 4-10 days refrigerated, although you may get a few extra days if you’re lucky.