This recipe is part of our Christmas Guide which is full of useful tips and resources to make hosting dinner on Christmas Day a success.
Roast turkey is an excellent choice of protein for Christmas Day, especially if you’re expecting a big crowd. An extra large bird is capable of feeding up to 18 people!
Take a little extra time to season the poultry and the end result will be greatly improved.
Serves: 8. Prep time: 10 minutes. Cooking time:3 hours
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup rosemary chopped
- handful basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 turkey, chose the right size for your occasion
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add the olive oil, rosemary, basil, salt and pepper to a small bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Wash the outside and then the inside of your turkey and then dry thoroughly with a tea towel.
- Carefully slide your fingers between the breast meat and the skin down to the drum sticks. Do not rip the skin.
- Scoop the seasoning under the skin of the breast. Reserve some of the seasoning to rub over the outside of the turkey. Secure the skin over the meat by using toothpicks.
- Add the turkey to a roasting tray, positioned on a wire rack so that the fat can drip through. Add a little water to the bottom of the tray to help keep the bird moist.
- Roast your poultry as per the label on the turkey. Cook until an internal meat thermometer reads 180°F. If you don’t have a thermometer, insert a skewer deep into the bird – it’s ready when the juices run clear.