This recipe is part of our Christmas Guide which is full of useful tips and resources to make hosting dinner on Christmas Day a success.
A fun project for the whole family, make a batch of cookies and piece a hole in the top of each cookie. Thread a ribbon through each one and you have a cute looking Christmas tree decoration.
To create an alternative cookie, include a tablespoon of cocoa to make chocolate cookies. And while you’re baking up a torm in the kitchen, you may want to make a batch of choc chip cookies that are chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Makes: 12 cookies
- 5 ½ oz all purpose flour
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2 ½ oz butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add the flour, nutmeg and ginger to a bowl and rub in butter using your fingers until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- Pour in honey and mix until a dough forms.
- Wrap with clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Divide the dough and roll out on a floured surface with a rolling pin until 1/4 thick.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters then place on the baking tray. Make a hole in the top of each cookie with a skewer so that a ribbon can be theaded through.
- Chill in fridge for 15 minutes then Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with icing of your choice then thread with ribbon and hang on the tree.
- Making cookings look good can be time consuming unless you have a cookie press. This handy kitchen tool creates perfectly uniform cookies every time and you can create a whole range of different shapes. If you’re considering upping your cookie making game then you’re going to want to check out a recent review of mine which looks at the best cookie press products currently on the market. I invested a whole weekend into researching them so it’s well worth the read.
- While these cookies look great on the Xmas tree, you may also want to keep some to wrap in cellophane and use as gifts for friends and family.